Self Defense/Krav Maga
Our Self Defense classes at Monarchy MMA consist mainly of Krav Maga training, a modern and dynamic martial art that focuses on self defense.
Originally developed for the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF), Krav Maga is a combination of techniques that come from wrestling, boxing, Judo, Aikido and karate; along with real life scenario training.
The aim of Krav maga is to teach you how to defend yourself in difficult situations all while developing your natural instincts, reflexes and awareness. The techniques one develops vary from striking, takedowns and ground-work to defending against an attacker wielding a knife, bat and even a firearm.
At Monarchy MMA, our Self Defense/Krav Maga classes are aimed at helping students, no matter the skill level, learn practical skills and techniques to defend themselves!
History of Krav Maga
Krav Maga was founded by Imre Lichtenfeld, an experienced sportsman that took part in, and won, many wrestling and boxing tournaments in Slovakia in the late 1920s.
When anti-semitic riots arose in the mid 1930s and Imre joined a group of vigilantes defending their neighbourhoods, he quickly realised that real-life scenario fighting and competition fighting were very different.
Out of necessity he started developing further skills and techniques to eventually create the initial form of Krav Maga, which he began instructing to the armed forces. While serving the IDF for 20 years he refined his techniques of self defense and hand-to-hand combat, and 1965 they added Judo and as part of the training, and soon after in 1971 a further addition of Aikido.
After Imre’s retirement, his principal student Eli Avikzar took over and in 1978 The Krav Maga Association was founded. Today the martial art has evolved from mainly being taught to the armed forces to being a self defense technique for civilians across the world.
Benefits of Self Defense/Krav Maga
Self Defense in itself is a big motivational point when it comes to training Krav Maga, but there are many other benefits, we’ll explain some of those below.
- Cardio. If you wanna get fit and you struggle with the idea of pushing weights, running on treadmills, and your regular exercise routine, then some Self Defense classes would do you good. A class will fly by as you’re doing a lot of varied exercises, and learnign at the same time!
- Confidence. Krav Maga training leads to enhanced awareness and instinctual reflexes which give you a confidence boost knowing you can defend yourself in difficult situations.
- Mental. With regular training, you’ll notice your mind gets sharper, you start sleeping better and this in turn gives you a sense of being at one with your body. The essence of Krav Maga is it’s simplicity and efficiency, and all of the trining will start affecting other aspects of your life and work.
- Discipline. As with many martial arts, you’ll learn discipline. Whether it’s from sticking to your routine or achieving your goals within your training, discipline plays a major role in Krav Maga.
- Fun. Not only will you get to have fun learning different martial arts, but you’ll meet other like-minded students at Monarchy Self Defense classes, and even though it might feel like punishment at time, you’ll still have a good laugh.