If striking is your preferred choice of martial arts, then you must give this top boxing class in the Klang Valley a try. Classes are available in Kuala Lumpur, Bangsar, and Mont Kiara, and it is open to beginners, intermediates, and athletes who are looking for a safe and better environment to sharpen their skills.
Not too sure how to box? Fear not. Under the guidance of highly-renowned, experienced coaches, and professional boxers Jerald Tepora and Jimmy Paypa, you will learn how to throw a jab, cross, uppercuts, and ways how to master your footwork and slipping techniques spectacularly.
Being one of the most popular starting platforms in martial arts, you can choose from 19 classes a week in Monarchy MMA, which consists of basic drills, pad works, heavy bag sessions, and enjoyable sparring sessions. There is also a weekly beginners' class and advanced sparring session.
History of Boxing
Dating back thousands of years, boxing first became an official sport of the Olympiad in 688BCE, but there’s evidence of fist-fighting contests existing as far back as the Sumerians of 3000BCE.
Ancient greeks were however the first to put rules to boxing. There was no rounds, no time-limit, and the only way the fight would end was when one of the opponents admitted defeat by holding up a finger.
Known for being a very brutal sport, the Greek fighters wore padded gloves for practice only, whereas the Romans, who boxed in the Gladiatorial arenas were often using leather gloves with metal spikes sewn in, known as caestus, for maximum damage as their only means of victory in the arena was death.
With the fall of the Roman Empire, boxing as entertainment became a part of history, until the bare-knuckle era erupted in England in the late 16th century. Illegal fights were common where the boxers took home winnings and spectators wagered on the fighters. And as it became more popular, rules and regulations were set and boxing evolved, in a very short timespan considering it origins, into the sport we know today.
Benefits of Boxing
If your goal is to become better at boxing or to simply lose weight, look no further. Boxing requires a lot of strength, speed, stamina, agility and coordination. Here are some wonderful reasons why boxing will help YOU:
• Cardio: Boxing requires full-body movement, and a one-hour session works into every muscle in your body, even the ones you didn’t know existed. This will help achieve your weight goals and get you fitter.
• Core: Punching bags and other students require a lot of core strength and stamina. Luckily most classes will include exercises in between all the punching to make sure you’re in the best shape in the shortest time possible.
• Stress: Apart from the physical benefits of boxing, there is a lot of psychological ones too. A good 60-minute lesson relieves a lot of stress as your brain increases the production of endorphins, the neurotransmitters that create feel-good thoughts. Punching helps to relieve muscle tension that builds up when you experience stress at home or in your workplace.
• Discipline: As with many martial arts, you’ll learn discipline. Whether it’s from sticking to your routine or achieving your goals within your training, you will see your discipline improving class by class.
• Fun: Not only will you get to have fun punching bags or pads, but you’ll meet other like-minded students at Monarchy MMA classes, and even though it might feel like punishment at times, you are guaranteed to go back home with a smile on your face!